Yogasanas are simple action for keeping the internal and external parts of body in good health. No activity can be performed well so long as the internal and external parts of the body are not good in health. The body and the mind are interrelated. Both should be fully taken care of. Thousands of years ago, the people of ancient Greece believed in the principle, “A sound mind in a sound body.” The whole system of their education was based on this principle.
There are seven ways for the elimination of waste matter produced in the body by daily physical activities and functioning of the digestive system:
1) Through left and right nostrils.
2) Through left and right ears.
3) Through left and right eyes.
4) Through the mouth
5) Through the anus
6) Through the genitals
7) Through the skin
Most diseases are the result of the absence of sufficient and regular elimination of waste matter such as urine and stool from the body. Yogic exercises help the process of elimination of waste matter from the body and keep the body in perfectly sound health.
The reasons why Yogasanas have a preference over other system of physical exercises are enumerated below: –
1) In other system of physical exercise, the internal organs of body do not get proper exercise, while Yogasanas give sufficient exercise to the internal organs of the body. Consequently, an individual can maintain good health and longevity of life.
2) Only small airy place and few equipments are required for practicing Yogasanas.
3) Two or more Individuals are required in other games, while Yoga is a solo – practice.
4) Yogasanas have a greater impact on the mind and the other senses than other physical exercises with the result that Yogasanas help to develop one’s physical and mental powers to calm the mind and control senses.
5) The practice of Yogasanas is not expensive as one practicing Yogasanas needs no additional food.
6) There is sufficient elimination of the stool and other waste matter from the body through Yogasanas and hence the body has more resistance power to keep disease away.
7)The Body becomes flexible by Yogasanas. It becomes active with an increased ability of doing any activity. One who performs Yogasanas looks younger in age and lives longer.
8) The blood in the different blood vessels is purified through different Yogasanas.
9) The power of contraction and expansion of lungs in increased by practicing Yogasanas and Pranayama. This result in the purification of blood to a great extent.
10) Life span, youth and health depend upon the flexibility of spinal cord. Yogasanas keep the spinal chord flexible.
11) Asanas require the least possible use of physical energy as a result one feels less tired. This is the reason why Yogasanas are called a “Non – violent activity.”
12) One who practices Yogasanas becomes morally good person.
13) Yogasanas help the mind to experience tranquility. There is progressive intellectual development because of cool mind.
14) Yogasanas stimulate different glands of the body. These stimulated glands produce secretions in proper proportion, which having mixed with blood helps the body to acquire a well – – balanced growth.
15) Diseases like constipation, gas trouble, diabetes, blood pressure, hernia, headache, etc. can be cured by practicing Yogasanas and pranayama.
16) Yogasanas make possible not only physical and mental development but also intellectual & spiritual development.
17) There is no restriction of age and sex for Yogasanas aspirants. Our ancient the result that they enjoyed sound health for a long time.
Hints – – to take the full advantage of Yogasanas, it is advisable to follow the following points
1) For practicing Yogasanas, early morning is the ideal time. Before starting Yoga practice, the bowels and the bladder should be emptied. It is better to do yogasanas after a both because it makes the body light and active and one can practice Yogasanas with greater ease. If one should use warm water instead of cold water.
2) The ground for practicing asanas should be level, clean and free from noise. Asanas should be practiced on a mat or a carpet.
3) Clothing should be in accordance with the season. Men should wear a loincloth or shorts. Women should wear a loose blouse and stretch pants.
4) One should remain silent while practicing asanas; concentration should be on breathing and on the limbs which have a stress or strain. Concentration in the practice of Yogasanas is necessary for all round progress of the body and mind.
5) Before one begins to practice other asanas, one should perform shavasana in order to make breathing normal, the body and the mind tranquill.
6) Yogasanas is a non violent and therefore no force or jerk should be exerted in the practice of yogasanas.
7) There should be a gradual increase in the time duration in the practice of yogasanas. By this process, the body becomes flexible in a short time, it will easily accomplish a perfect state in each asana.
8) Yogasanas is a scientific process which deals with the internal and external parts of the body. A beginner should start practicing yogasanas after having learnt all their techniques under proper guidance.
9) The performer of asanas should take light food in order to keep the body light.
10) If one is suffering complicated diseases or severe fever, one should not practice asanas four months after conception, for three months after delivery and during menstruation. A woman aspirant should not as far as possible perform, without proper guidance asanas which involve lifting of the weight of the whole body on her hands