Today I shall discuss with you the adverse effects of ‘Sedentary Lifestyle’ and how should you prevent the deep rooted effects of sedentary habits. Most of us these days have an occupation which makes us sit in one place for long hours. Although otherwise also the lifestyle is sedentary without much physical exertion or discomfort.
HOW DOES SITTING IN ONE PLACE AFFECT YOUR BODY SYSTEM?
1. Reduced Energy Expenditure: When you sit in one place for too long, there is no utility of the energy that is produced in your body, which can cause obesity, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases.
2. Bowel Discomforts: Inactivity with sitting in one place for long hours causes chronic constipation, if not paid attention to be the cause of haemorrhoids, fissures, with chronic per rectal bleeding (causing anemia due to loss of blood) associated with burning pain post evacuation.
3. Acid Peptic Diseases: These again are life style oriented diseases which are a result of multiple factors including sedentary habits, caffeine products, liquor, having spicy food having detrimental effects on your gastro-intestinal tract specially the mucos membrane. There burning pain in the stomach and intestine leading to chronic diseases like peptic and duodenal ulcers.
4. Compromised Posture and somatic pain: Sitting posture causes the pelvis to rotate backward and it puts pressure on the lumbar discs. This position forces the head forward, causing the shoulders to stoop and compensate the weight. This can harm your spinal cord as it puts a lot of pressure on the intervertebral discs and the adjoining muscles. It is also seen to be associated with Chronic Rheumatic complaints.
5. Low Libido: Sitting in one place for long hours hampers your circulation and disturbs your hormone levels. The excess pressure on the lumbar vertebrae leads to decreased libido and sexual drive hampering the sexual life.
HOW TO PREVENT THE ILL-EFFECTS?
1. Keep changing your position in the seat periodically.
2. Take regular breaks and walk around for 10-15 minutes after every 2 hours.
3. Keep sipping water at regular intervals.
4. Avoid drinking too much tea/coffee/soda when at your desk.
5. Keep a cushion below your seat and support your lower back to bear the pressure.
6.Take small walk when talking on the phone.
7. Use staircase instead of the elevators.
8. While at home, spare 1 hour for your daily exercise or any outdoor sports to keep yourself fit.
9. Avoid overeating and gulping of unnecessary junk,spicy food, liquor on the daily basis while watching tv, using laptop.
10. Specially people between the age of 30-40 years, do take care of your nutritional intake and your sedentary habits.
TAKE CARE OF YOUR HEALTH AS IT MATTERS THE MOST!
– Sharayu Rajwade – Health And Fitness
Diet | Fitness | Homoeopathy